My mum hinted very unsubtly that she wanted a needle book as the one she currently uses was made by one of us at school and features a badly sewn on christmas tree with some ’embroidery’, and its falling apart.
I spent quite a while looking for a patchwork pattern, not that I necessarily needed one but I was looking for inspiration really. However I found this really fantastic tutorial on Patchwork Posse, the construction of the patchwork was really fun, it basically involves layering fabrics over each other, but I do think you need to plan it first otherwise you could get stuck! I really like the random effect you end up with and it’s a really good project for using up scraps.
I added some minimal quilting to it but if you’re more creative than me you could really go to town with this bit, I think it would look amazing with a very close pattern stitched over it, alternatively you could do it by hand with bigger stitches and contrasting thread, which, in hindsight, is what I should have done, I think it would look cuter. Inside I used green felt, which I should have cut with my pinking shears I think.
Lizzy and I used this technique for making a cushion cover out of offcuts and it’s definitely a method I will use more often as I have a huge scrap bag that I need to use up before I’m allowed to buy any more fabric…